Tseung Kwan O school outbreak confirmed as norovirus gastroenteritisHong Kong | May 19, 2017 17:00
The center said a total of 169 pupils and eight staff members were affected after 10 additional affected pupils, aged between eight to twelve, and two staff members were identified.
Stool specimens of three affected pupils tested positive for norovirus upon laboratory testing.
A center spokesman said acute gastroenteritis, commonly caused by norovirus and rotavirus, is a frequent cause of outbreaks in schools and institutions. "Norovirus infection can be transmitted via contact with vomitus, faeces or any objects contaminated by the virus, or via contaminated food or water,” he said.
The spokesman added that proper disposal of vomitus and fecal matter and adequate disinfection of the environment are key to preventing and controlling the spread of the disease.
All affected persons have been in stable condition.