RSS XML

Barca told to strive for five against Juve

Sports | Apr 19, 2017
Barcelona will need to hit at least five goals past Juventus to produce another miracle Champions League comeback, but have nothing to lose, says outgoing coach Luis Enrique.

The Catalans made history by overcoming a 4-0 first-leg deficit to beat Paris Saint-Germain 6-1 in the return leg in the previous round, but have another mountain to climb at the Nou Camp tomorrow (HK time) as they trail their quarter-final tie 3-0.

"We need to score fewer goals," said an upbeat Enrique ahead of what could be his last European game in charge. "But bearing in mind the opponent could have chances and the goal can come at any moment, our objective is to score five."

Enrique foresaw Barca's recovery in the previous round, claiming an attack led by Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar was capable of scoring six against the French champions.

And he called for an expected near- 100,000 crowd to play their part as they did against PSG.

"We don't have anything to lose. We are free from pressure," Enrique said. "Juventus have the semi-finals in their pocket and will have to decide whether to sit back or attack.

"We only have one option which is to attack, attack and attack again. I am sure that if we score the first goal, the Nou Camp will score the second and the third will come of its own accord."

Barca captain Andres Iniesta was more cautious in his optimism, recognizing the first leg in Turin had been "a terrible result." However, he believes Barca have the potential to at least create some doubt in Juventus minds.

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini, who scored his side's third goal last week after Paulo Dybala's early double, insists the Italians will need all their experience to stand up to Barca's "sharks."

"We will have to play without fear because they are like sharks - they smell blood and they finish you off," he said.

Borussia Dortmund, still shocked after last week's bomb attack on the team bus, have a slim chance of overturning the 3-2 home loss to Monaco in their quarter-final, club CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke said.

But Watzke said Dortmund had already performed a "superhuman" task after playing a day following the attack and then bouncing back with a Bundesliga win on Saturday. "We can draw strength from that," Watzke said.

AGENCIES



Search Archive

Advanced Search
April 2017
S M T W T F S