N Korea dismantles nuclear test site ahead of summitWorld | May 16, 2018
In a move welcomed by Washington and Seoul, North Korea said at the weekend it will "completely" destroy the Punggye-ri test site, in a ceremony scheduled between May 23-25 in front of invited foreign media.
But no observers from international atomic monitoring agencies have been invited, raising concerns over the openness of the process.
Punggye-ri, in the northeast of the country, has been the site of all six of the North's nuclear tests, the latest and by far the most powerful in September last year, which Pyongyang said was an H-bomb.
North Korea vowed to close the testing ground after Kim last month declared the country's nuclear force complete and said it had no further need for the complex.
The respected 38 North website said yesterday that satellite images dated May 7 showed "the first definitive evidence that dismantlement of the test site was already well under way."
Several key operational buildings and smaller sheds had been razed and rails connecting the tunnels to their waste piles were removed, the monitoring group said.
Excavation of a new tunnel has also been halted since late March, it added.
Images showed preparatory work for the destruction ceremony had also begun, including a newly positioned foundation among the waste piles believed to have been built for the invited journalists. "It is conceivably for a future camera position to record the closure of the West Portal," the group said.
However no tunnel entrances appear to have been permanently closed and some main buildings are still intact, it added, saying the destruction of those facilities was likely to be carried out in front of the foreign media.
But skeptics warn that Pyongyang has yet to make any public pledge to give up its arsenal.