RSS XML

Prince Philip hangs up car keys after crash

World | AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE Feb 11, 2019
Prince Philip has surrendered his driving license after causing a car crash that outraged the media and stirred a debate about old age and driving. Buckingham Palace said Philip, 97, made the decision on his own after rolling over his Land Rover last month. "After careful consideration, the Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving license," Buckingham Palace said. Police in the eastern part of England where the accident occurred outside a royal residence said they had passed Philip's file to prosecutors to determine whether anyone should be charged. "Norfolk Police can confirm that the 97-year-old driver of the Land Rover involved in the collision at Sandringham . . . voluntarily surrendered his license to officers," said a police statement. "The investigation file for the collision has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service for their consideration." However, few royal watchers seriously expect Queen Elizabeth's husband to be punished by the police. A witness told British media that Philip had emerged unharmed, but "shocked and shaken" from the collision with the much smaller Kia hatchback. Police said a nine-month-old baby in the back seat of Kia was uninjured. One woman in the vehicle broke her wrist, while the other cut her knee. The duke was forced to take a standard police breathalyzer test, which he passed. He told police he was "blinded by the sun" when he turned on to the road.


Search Archive

Advanced Search
February 2019
S M T W T F S