'Haunted House' claims guard

Local | Cissy So Feb 12, 2019
A security guard collapsed and died on his first night working at the "High Street Haunted House." The 56-year-old man, surnamed Chung was found unconscious on the staircase of the Sai Ying Pun Community Complex on High Street, where a mental health facility, established in 1892, once stood. The facility was known as "High Street Haunted House" due to frequent ghost sightings. Only its facade was preserved as a monument. Chung was substituting for an overnight guard in the complex, more commonly known as the High Street Haunted House. He was found unconscious at 9.30am by his colleague who called in the police. Paramedics declared Chung dead upon arrival. He started his shift at 11pm Sunday and had been patrolling until 1am. He had not been seen since then. Chung's family could not contact him and reported him missing at 8am. He had heart disease and asthma. Police took his medication for investigations. A post-mortem examination will be carried out. The complex was previously a female ward for mental health patients in 1939, and became a mental health outpatient clinic after the opening of the Castle Peak Hospital in 1961. Following its vacancy in 1971, the building was later badly damaged by two fires that were said to have been started by trespassers. The building was repurposed and became the Sai Ying Pun Community Complex in 1998, and its granite facade in the style of early Baroque architecture was preserved. The complex is now a historic building. It was coined as the "High Street Haunted House" because there were rumors of it being used as an execution hall by Japanese troops during World War II and only became a mental health facility after the war. Two film stars, Jacky Cheung Hok-yau and Eric Tsang Chi-wai, were rumored to have been at the center of a scare while on location during filming of Blood Brother. Cheung was said to have been waiting to be filmed but staff said they saw him enter the building. An old man was also seen loitering around and suddenly disappeared soon after. Tsang got scared and told the crew to burn incense if they wanted to film anything at the location again.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
April 2019