Free Premium

Pointman in 1967 riots PR war dies

Local | Cindy Wan Feb 13, 2019
Peter Moss, a former assistant director in Government Information Services, has died at the age of 84 in Manila. Moss, who was responsible for dispatching news during the 1967 riots, died of respiratory failure at Saint Luke's Medical Centre in the capital of the Philippines on Saturday at 12.20pm According to his friend Tony Mariadass, a former Malay Mail sports editor, Moss missed the newspaper's 122nd anniversary dinner on December 14 as he was suffering from the flu. He was taken to a medical center on January 26 and died 15 days later. His remains will be cremated in Manila and the ashes will be taken back to London. Moss updated his condition on his Facebook page while staying at the medical center, but the last message was sent on January 31. "The fortune teller told me that I will die at 84 years old ... and he was right," he wrote. Born to an Anglo-Indian family in Allahabad, India, Moss embarked on a journalistic career at the age of 15. He was a reporter for the Malay Mail before moving to Hong Kong to become a senior information officer in 1965. During the riots in 1967, Moss led foreign reporters around the city to cover stories about protesters leaving handmade bombs that targeted innocent people. He also led a crew to film the riot from dawn to dusk, but almost all of their footage disappeared from central archives in 2012. Moss helped connect people involved in the riots to the crew of the documentary Vanished Archives, which collected the missing puzzle pieces and reviewed the riots. In the documentary, he said the leftists were actually against the entire community. Of the three volumes of his autobiography, No Babylon recounted his life here. He also compiled books with old photos of Hong Kong, leaving behind an important historical record of the city. The Hong Kong Journalists Association expressed its condolences, saying Moss' death is a huge loss for the news industry.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
April 2019